March 29, 2010

Sushi and Squid Salad

One of the few exciting things I got to do over break was try sushi. I have never tried it before. I've always wanted to say that I will try anything and while sushi may not seem that exotic... it is to me. The oddest thing I have ever eaten would be frog legs. I ate them in France about 7 years ago when I had to choose between trying frog legs or mussels. The legs were super tiny and you could still see the tiny toes. I remember not liking the taste.. I thought they were greasy with little flavor.

So to embark on a new journey I decided to try something else new. Paige, my roommate, took me to a sushi restaurant in Mason called Kyoto. We picked out three different kinds of sushi. One cooked, the other two uncooked. Two had crab and avocado and the other had yellow fin and white tail tuna. My favorite was the roll with the tuna, the fusion roll. I cannot say that I will eat much sushi in the future. The taste was not horrible and I enjoyed the avocado and meat, but I did not like the seaweed. I could not take the texture of the seaweed.

I also tried squid for the first time. We got a complimentary squid salad. The texture of that was also not pleasing to me. I couldn't look at the squishy legs and not think of what it looked like while I was chewing it.

Regardless, another one is crossed off the list. Hopefully this will probe me to try even more new foods.

2 comments: